Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Get to Know Your Feet!

When I first began running, I went to my local running store for a shoe fitting.  I was told that I needed a stability show, but she didn't explain why she thought I needed a stability shoe.  Looking back on it, I think it was most likely because I was a larger runner.  I took her word for it, and for the past three years, I have been buying stability shoes.

After listening to the latest Extra Mile Podcast Galloway Edition with the interview with Golden Harper (CEO and creator of Altra), I was especially intrigued with the Altra shoes, and I began to do some research on them.  I also began to research the different types of shoes, gaits, and why people need different types of shoes.

One of the first things I did was study my old shoes.  Tread Labs website was a great source that illustrated shoe wear by gait type.  It was so obviously from studying my old shoes that I am a supinator/under pronator. 

Once I realized that, I began to research supinators/under pronators, and it described me perfectly.  Then, to my surprise, as I researched shoes for supinators/under pronators, I learned that stability shoes were NOT the best choice.  Cushioning is important, but stability shoes were designed for people who pronate - which is the exact opposite of what my feet do.

So, with that in mind, I researched the best shoes for *MY* feet.  I compiled a list of brands and models of shoes that were best for my feet, and then I researched each shoe on my list.  I eventually made my decision based on consumer reviews, price, and color (hey, I'm a girl who loves color - especially pink!).

I decided on the Saucony Triumph ISO 3.  It's not the latest model, but it met all of my criteria.  I won't be wearing them until after my Tour de" Chocolate 10K Race/Walk on August 4th.  With a race coming up this weekend, and that race two weeks later, I felt it best to wait a couple of weeks, and then bring them out in time to get them warmed up for the Air Force 13.1 in September.

If you haven't researched your feet for yourself, I challenge you to do so --

Keep Walking On Sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Connie! I need to reassess my shoes, as well. I'll look at Tread Labs and go from there.

    ReplyDelete