Friday, July 13, 2018

How to Love Your Long Walks

Selfie Stop!
If you're training for a distance race of 10K or more, you've undoubtedly got weekly or biweekly long walks scheduled into your training plan.  There are some people who dread the long walks, and others, like me, who love them!

So, if you're not one of the walkers out there who loves your schedule long walks, I have a few suggestions that might help you begin to love them -- or at least not dread them.  :)

Choosing an enjoyable route is critical.  Do you like out-and-back routes?  Do you like a complete loop?  I, personally, prefer an out-and-back because it mentally makes me feel as though I'm only going half the distance.  Once I get to that half-way/turn-around point, I feel like I'm practically done, and now just headed home.

Today, my scheduled long walk was 10 miles.  I used Map My Walk to create my route.  I created a route from my home that took me out for 5 miles.  My route would take me through neighborhoods and commercial areas that would allow me to stay on sidewalks for the entirety of my walk and provide a variety of scenery.  When I reached the 5-mile point, I just turned around, and began my journey back home.

And don't forget - when you're choosing your route, make sure you include possible bathroom stops, whether park restrooms, convenience stores, or friend's homes.

It's also important, when planning for your long walk, to decide if you'd like to listen to music, podcasts, audio books, or simply nothing at all.  I prefer to listen to walking/running podcasts.  I load up my Ipod with hours of various podcast episodes.  I feel such a sense of community when I'm listening to podcasts about walking/training/running while I'm actually out there doing it.  It's inspiring, and keeps me motivated to keep going.

Hydration and fuel are very important for your long walk.  On today's long walk, I had my Nathan handheld water bottle filled with Nuun Electrolyte Drink.  I had a package of Organic Honey Stinger Chews, and two dill pickles.  Sipping my Nuun frequently, eating two of the Honey Stinger Chews every two miles, and eating a dill pickle at mile 3 and 7 kept me fueled, hydrated, and with plenty of energy.

And lastly, just have fun. Enjoy the scenery.  Stop and take a few pictures of interesting things you see.  You'll notice beauty in places that you never noticed if you've only driven that route before.  Look at your long walk as an adventure to see things from a different perspective.  Take time to smell the roses, and enjoy the beauty around you.




No comments:

Post a Comment